Published 8th November 2019
Retford Library will close its doors at 4pm on Saturday 7 December to allow work to start on an extensive refurbishment project.
Working with Nottinghamshire County Council and ARC Partnership, we aim to make the library more visible and accessible to the local community through better signage from Churchgate, easier to navigate shelving (which will also be able to be moved to create larger spaces for performances and cultural activities), as well relocating the local studies collection downstairs into the main body of the library to allow easier access for all to this amazing resource.
The children’s library will also be relocated to the rear of the library creating a more bright and vibrant area for reading and activities. Leading out from this area the rear garden will also be improved with a new decked area and garden space.
Peter Gaw, Chief Executive at Inspire said:
“Retford is one of the County Library services largest libraries and we’re
really proud of the community and cultural hub that it has become. The new
refurbishment, one of a long list of libraries refurbished by the County
Council over the last 10 years, will create a high quality and sustainable
library building whilst reflecting the building’s heritage. Providing better
access to the unique heritage collection and making better use of the outside
spaces are key improvements customers will see when we re-open.”
During the closure you can;
- use your library membership card at any of our libraries across the county
- renew your books online or by calling ASK Inspire on 01623 677 200
- visit our mobile library which will now be based at Churchgate car park on Saturday 21st December (9.30am-12.30pm) and also for Saturday 4th January through to Saturday 18 April 2020 (excluding 28 December).
- make use of our extensive digital collection of eAudio, eMagazines and eBooks which are all FREE for library members to use.
- from Monday 20 January a full library lending service will be available in our temporary Worksop Library at the Priory Shopping Centre.
You can also visit our mobile library as it continues to operate it's routes around the following villages;
Barnby Moor, Beckingham, Bole, Clarborough, Clayworth, Dunham, Everton, Gringley, Habblesthorpe, Harwell, Headon, Laneham, Mattersey, Mission, North Leverton, North Wheatley, Ordsall, Rampton, Ranskill, Retford, Saundby, Scaftworth, Scrooby, South Leverton, South Wheatley, Sturton le Steeple, Sutton cum Lound, Torworth, Treswell, Upton, Walkeringham, Welham, West Stockwith and Wiseton.
We apologise for any inconvenience the closure
may cause but look forward to welcoming you back to your new-look library!