Do you want to find out about your own family’s history, or investigate past times in the place where you live?
Inspire libraries love to help you discover and celebrate local stories.We think of our Local Heritage Collections as community memory banks and actively develop them to reflect Nottinghamshire life. Everyone is welcome to explore the collections, actively developed over many years to reflect the wide variety of local experience.
- advice and help with family and local history research – with the bonus of FREE access to Ancestry.com in libraries and Nottinghamshire Archives
- collections of rare and hard to find books on Nottinghamshire themes
- heritage themed events and activities for all ages
- displays and exhibitions to showcase local stories
- extensive coverage of local newspapers – some dating back to the 1850s
- historical county maps
- Collections of historic photographs to pore over
- access to digital copies of 1000s of photographs via the Inspire Picture Archive
- information about availability of items for loan or reference via the library catalogue, although we do have some “hidden treasures” still to add
- enjoyable volunteering opportunities
- We are also very happy to talk to you about receiving any donations to add to the collections, or items that you would be happy for us to copy and return.
- Free access to the British Newspaper Archive.
Where to Find Us
All Inspire libraries have some material relating to their own communities, but the larger ones have much more extensive collections. Generally, these contain some core material of countywide interest with the main focus being on the immediate local area. A number feature specialised collections relating to themes of wider interest e.g. D.H. Lawrence, Lord Byron and the Mayflower Pilgrims.Help is available from staff, supported by a Heritage team, to explore the information and resources we hold. Please contact us via your local Inspire Library or the Ask Inspire service.