Reading & Libraries
We are passionate about encouraging children to read.
Our libraries have a wide range of story and information books to delight, inspire and enthuse a love of reading and learning in children.
We run activities and events throughout the year to promote the pleasure of reading.
Children are welcome at any age. It's free to join the library and to borrow books.
- A range of books and talking books on CD
- eResources, including eBooks, eAudio and eMagazines.
- Books in large print and braille
- Some books are available in dual language and community languages.
- Free Bookstart
packs for children under 5
- Reading Well collections - books to support children's mental health and well being
- Computers - before using the internet, children will need to have a form signed by a parent or guardian giving their permission.
- BBC Micro:bit lending
There are no overdue charges for children and young people up to the age of 19 and books, talking books and DVDs can be reserved for children free of charge.
There is a small rental charge for DVDs.
Events and Activities for Under Fives
- Rattle, Rhyme and Roll - friendly rhyme sessions for babies and toddlers
Hullaballoo - stories and rhymes for little ones
- Toddler Times - fun interactive sessions for under 5s
- Adventures in Music - free 10 week musical programme.
- Story Explorers - storytelling adventures in association with Nottingham Playhouse
- Little Creatives - art workshops designed to unleash creative imagination and develop new skills
Events and Activities for Primary Aged Children
- Summer Reading Challenge - challenge to keep children reading over the summer.
- Family Theatre - imaginative theatre for children and families in libraries.
- Family Concerts - fun-filled opportunities for families to share the excitement of live music.
- Code Club - to inspire children to get excited about computer science and digital making.
Search for other events for children and families in our What's On listings or contact your local library.
You can also sign up to our Children and Families mailing list to recieve emails about Inspire's family events. To sign up click here
Childminders, Nurseries and Playgroups
If you are a registered childminder or the leader of a nursery, playgroup or a parent and toddler group you can borrow up to 36 items at a time. There are no fines or charges for damaged items and books can be borrowed for periods of up to 12 weeks.Groups can also arrange to visit the library. To organise a trip, contact your local library.
Family Arts Standards
Inspire is registered for the Family Arts Standards for family events in our four largest libraries - Beeston, West Bridgford, Worksop and Mansfield Central. This means we are working hard to make families feel welcome. Look out for events in our programme and online with the FAS badge. Find out more: familyartsstandards.com