Brave Bears: Exhibition Highlights

890 hand made Brave Bears on display throughout Mansfield Central Library delighted visitors to the biggest teddy bears picnic of the summer!

Thank you Nottinghamshire's crafters!

We would like to say a very big THANK YOU for generously knitting and crocheting 890 adorable Brave Bears. All together they became a heart warming display of woolly creativity, that was both uplifting and inspiring. Every bear had its own personality and visitors to Mansfield Central Library loved them. 

Well done to all the crafters across 'Knittinghamshire' and beyond...

A wave of Brave Bears .jpg

The Teddy Bears Picnic Exhibition at Mansfield Central Library from 15 August to 27 September 2023, marked a spectacular end to four months of charity knitting and crochet creativity. Each beautifully hand crafted Brave Bear was made with love for charities working with children in times of need. At the end of the exhibition the special bears were collected by Nottinghamshire Police, whose officers are tasked with ensuring the Brave Bears give hugs to those who need them most.

Here are some of the lovely comments we received about the exhibition:

Wow! So many lovely bears! Every one is different! Well done crafters! 😊

It was an absolutely lovely surprise coming into the library today & seeing all of the beautiful teddies. 

How amazing to see our community come together for children! 

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to make so many fantastic Brave Bears, they will make lots of children feel safe and happier.

BRILLIANT!! Well done all you knitters. 

How truly lovely!! For a great cause too! Thank you to all the crafters. 

I think they are all so cute! I find it great how the community are getting involved! Such a great idea. 

The wall of bears is amazing and so pretty!

We can’t believe how many bears are in the library! They are everywhere! The boys loved seeing them 😊 Thank you. 

All the bears are magnificent. Well done to all.

Absolutely delightful exhibition. We particularly like how they all have different characters. Love the picnic food as well! 

Absolutely brilliant. Love them all.

The bears are amazing and very cheerful. Excellent artwork. Thank you for making our library even nicer. They are outstanding. Well done to everyone who knitted them. 

How many!! Great display. Looking for mine!!

Such a wonderful project. My Mum knitted Brave Bears and really enjoyed the challenge. Well done Inspire and partners for creating such a fantastic creative project and for such a good cause!

Well done to everybody for the fantastic bears. Brilliant! 

How wonderful, a room full of Brave Bears. All waiting for a forever name, they will all be well loved. 

I really like the food, especially the doughnut. I loved it.

Such a thoughtful and creative project, I love the idea!

So so many gorgeous teddies and the thought that each one will bring comfort to a distressed child is truly humbling. What a marvellous challenge this year! 

Thank you for visiting

Teddy bears picnic.jpg

The 2023 Charity Knitting Challenge was supported by Inspire, the Miner2Major Landscape Partnership SchemeNottinghamshire PoliceNewark and Sherwood District Council and Creative Lives. The Brave Bear knitting and crochet patterns were designed by textile designer Megan Crook.

Click on the Brave Bears link to find out how the Brave Bears were made - you can also follow our special patterns and How To videos.

Miner2Major joint logo
CR_full_colour.png
NSDC Colour Logo
Creative Lives logo hi-res transparent (1).png