Twiddlers! Exhibition Highlights

The Twiddlers Exhibition celebrated the amazing skills and generosity of crafters from all over Nottinghamshire and beyond.

The exhibition marked a spectacular end to over four months of knitting and crafting for the 2022 Inspire Charity Knitting Challenge!

Twiddlers title.jpg
A host of Twiddlers on display

A Wonderful Wall of Wool

Inspire, Your Health Your Way, Dementia Action Nottingham and Nottinghamshire and Creative Lives supported Nottinghamshire’s crafters to make Twiddlers, woolly hand-warmers embellished with fabulous fiddlers that provide sensory stimulation or soothing comfort for people living with dementia.

Juliet Bernard hand knitting guru, designer and former editor of The Knitter magazine designed two patterns and lots of fiddlesome embellishments to inspire crafters and start the project off.

Twidders, created by crafters from all over the county, came together to form the Twiddlers Exhibition at Worksop Library Gallery. The walls of the gallery were embellished with rows and rows of colour and texture from 17 August to 2 October 2022.

After the exhibition members of Dementia Action Nottingham & Nottinghamshire distributed the Twiddlers across Nottinghamshire, and they made sure the people who would benefit from them most received them.

The 2022 charity knitting challenge is Inspire’s sixth annual crafting event for charity. Every year an army of crafters are prepared to give their time, skills, wool and creativity to a charitable cause. Every year they amaze library visitors with an exhibition of skilful crafting that has been created with love and care.

Like a wall of wonder when you come up the stairs! Well done to all involved, keep twiddling.

Delightful, joyous and heart warming array of knitted fabulousness!

A wall of kindness and love!!

A tremendous amount of hard work and imagination. Well done to all of the exhibitors.

Fabulous - blew us away!

Knitters of Nottinghamshire! You should be proud of your craft! It's an amazing exhibition.

It was simply wonderful to see my efforts among such a wonderful display. It is quite uplifting to realise how many of us are keeping crafts alive.

It has made me want to pick my knitting needles back up!

Wow what a wonderful collection! Managed to find some of the ones we had knitted, could have looked at them for hours.

What a beautiful display! It made me and my daughter very happy. It reminded her of Nanny Glenda who likes to knit and my late Nanny (Mamgu) who loved knitting too!

Love them! Its amazing how many different Twiddlers there are - we are a creative bunch.

Absolutely beautiful. So much colour. Very therapeutic! So much imagination too.

What a wonderful and colourful display - and great to think they will go off to new homes after.

Love this! Absolutely fabulous work. I've come with students who have sensory needs and this is AMAZING! Thank you!

Came from Nottingham by bus to view my Twiddlers effort. It was lovely to see the display with all the colours and designs. Found some of my knitting amongst all the others.

What a fabulous project. The skills in Nottinghamshire are kept alive and bound to inspire new knitters. Such an important thing to keep craft alive.

Just some of the lovely comments we received about the exhibition. Thank you for visiting.
A Wonderful Wall of Wool.jpg

Total Twiddlers 764

Thank you - to all crafters for participating and donating so many gorgeous Twiddlers. We are grateful for your skills, enthusiasm and considerable heaps of creativity. You have supported this year's charity challenge with your time and generosity, you are all amazing! 

Thank you - Dementia Action Nottingham and Nottinghamshire and Creative Lives for supporting this fantastic knitting challenge, and Your Health Your Way for funding this work. 

Click on the Twiddlers! link to find out how to make a Twiddler and see our patterns and How To videos.

YHYW logo.jpg
DAN Logo v2.JPG
Creative Lives logo hi-res transparent (1).png