The Big Friendly Read - 2016

Libraries across Nottinghamshire prepared to celebrate 100 years of the world’s favourite storyteller, Roald Dahl with The Big Friendly Read, Summer Reading Challenge 2016. 

SRC Big Friendly Exhibition at Mansfield

In 2016, Nottinghamshire schools and artists were inspired by the fantastic stories of Roald Dahl. Together they created amazing artworks for Mansfield Central Library gallery and an ‘interactive reading shed’ packed with colourful characters, all set in a garden of wonderful woolly flowers made by our talented library craft groups.

Author Roald Dahl wrote his marvellous children's stories in a writing hut, specially built for him in his garden at Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire. Inspired by this eccentric workspace, schools have worked alongside professional artists Anna Roebuck and Jane Stockley to create The Big Friendly Exhibition!

Wonderful motivating exhibition, lots of fun, colours and imagination, really great.

Wonderful and cheerful. Makes you feel happy. 

Very nice all the jars and the hut house is beautiful. I had my photo taken in there thank you. - Mrs Overton 93 years young.

I think all the artwork makes the library very colourful and bright.

The Oaktree Primary dream jars are BRILL!

Library visitors

The Big Friendly Exhibition and Reading Shed were on display at Mansfield Central Library from 19 July to 1 September 2016.

Have a go at home!

The Big Friendly Exhibition - 2016
SRC