Little Creatives Artist: Amy Lee Young

Amy Lee Young joined the team in autumn 2023, Amy is one of five artists who've been creating new workshops specifically designed for early years children.

Amy Lee Young.jpg

Amy Lee Young

I’m an independent visual artist, predominantly working in paper cutting, printmaking, sculpture and installation, with colour and light as the focus. My work is accessible, playful and unashamedly positive. With each piece, I aim to create a pocket of calm, a space for magic and to connect with joy. Looking at the connections between people and the world around them, I draw inspiration from symbolism, shapes and patterns and the impact of colour.

My work is inspired by magic and ancient rituals, sound therapy and music, the sun, the moon and the cosmos. My processes start with my immediate environment and finding calm within it, and I build from there. What part of the year are we in, what is the season, how long are the days, what phase is the moon in? I then choose books, objects, music, and ‘relics’ to surround myself with, and the work mindfully starts from there.

Drawing on symbolism and choosing colour palettes and materials that best reflect the place I want to share, I see most of my work as collages. Whether they are built with paper, ink, acrylic or glass, I am piecing together shapes and colours that together create a bigger picture that tells a story and invites others to come and connect with the environment and the universe.

Find out more about Amy's work here: Amy Lee Creative