The Little Creatives Exhibition Highlights: From the First Five Years

Creating little artists across the county...

Over the last 5 years our team of professional artists have been working creatively to help early years children learn new skills and have multi-sensory fun, playful and creative experiences in nursery settings and libraries across Nottinghamshire. 

Following a programme of early years training provided by Hempsall’s, a team of 5 early years artists ventured out across the county delivering workshops. The team spent several weeks on a mutually creative research journey with small groups of children at 12 early years settings and 11 Inspire libraries. It turns out there are many similarities between the way young children play and experience new materials and the way artists work!

A retrospective Little Creatives Exhibition toured five Inspire Library Galleries until 29 October 2023, the fascinating exhibition of photographs and art works illustrated the journey and hard work over the first 5 years of Little Creatives. 

Little Creatives workshops helped little ones unleash their creative imagination and develop new skills as they splodged, splatted, scribbled and squidged! 

In total, throughout the Little Creatives project, we were able to connect with around 1528 children from early years settings and 552 children who took part in a family workshop.

Here are just some of the comments we received from the Little Creatives workshop participants:

“What a lovely way to spend a rainy day.“  Mansfield Central Library participant

“I love the workshop!”  Arnold Library participant

“It's a lovely opportunity to join in something new and give children a new experience.”  Kirkby-in-Ashfield Library participant

“A very fun workshop promoting the use of recyclable materials :) we loved it.”  Newark Library participant

“Brilliant - the kids are getting that art is more than pencils and painting.”  Beeston Library participant

“Son has loved it and seems more confident than last week.”  Bingham Library participant

“So much fun and inspiration! Ideas to do at home. Great!”  West Bridgford Library participant

“We look forward to the under 5's events and would love more.”  Retford Library participant

“Fantastic for child with speech and language needs! Thank you!”  Southwell Library participant

“Thank you! A lovely free experience. We both really enjoyed it. My daughter was sad when it was over!”  Worksop Library participant

“Very welcoming and inclusive. My grandson is autistic and loved it.”  Mansfield Woodhouse Library participant

“It was lovely with friendly staff and lovely natural resources.”  Ravenshead Library participant

“Wonderful creative and well facilitated experience. Extremely friendly library staff.”  Blidworth Library participant

“Lovely activity to do with my daughter.”  Calverton Library participant

“It was fun, learned new ways to entertain my kids.”  Edwinstowe Library participant

Thank You!

Meet the Artists

Find out more about the 2018 - 2023 Little Creatives project

You can find our more about our journey; read our report, see the programmes in action, read case studies and hear from the creative practitioners involved in delivering the work in libraries.

Aerial view of the Little Creatives book

The Little Creatives book is available to borrow from all Inspire Libraries!

Inspired by the work of artists it is packed with ideas for fun activities to do at home - and it brings together the areas of learning that are important in the early years with creative play, imagination and the exploration of new materials. 

Return to Little Creatives

Arts Council England logo